Just Jump!


I had the pleasure of taking my three-year-old grandson Cooper to the pool a few days ago.  He was beyond excited to be in the water and to push his new floaties to the max of their limited duties. He squirmed and fidgeted as I tried to hold him as we bounced around the 4 ft section. To keep him happy, and still control where he ventured, I stood him on the side of the pool and asked him to jump into my waiting arms.

The first time he counted down, "1, 2, 3, 8!!" And on "8" he would jump as far out as he could and I would catch him before he went completely underwater.  Jump after jump I would catch him, fearful of too much water getting in his little lungs. I kept hearing that horrible Facebook story of secondary drowning kept playing in my mind.

After several turns, he looked at me and says, "Kahkoo, just jump! I want to just jump! No catch me!" Even at his tender young age, he was trying to tell me my grip on him was too tight. Like a kitten, the tighter I held, the more he squirmed.  I had to smile at his understanding, and I promised to step back a bit more on his next jump.  The next turn, he went completely under the water and came up squealing with absolute delight.  Yes, he coughed and sputtered a few times, but recovered quickly and was back up and ready for more jumps.  With each leap of faith he took, I relaxed a little more and more.

As I face my upcoming kidney donation surgery, I am aware that God is standing in the "pool" waiting on me as well.  To be honest, I want Him to stay really close to the side and catch me and keep me from getting a bunch of water in my lungs. But louder than my fear I hear His voice cheering me on, saying, "Just jump! I promise I'll catch you!"















©2014-2016 Coffee, Cobwebs, and Curriculum. All rights reserved. All text, photographs, artwork, and other content may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the written consent of the author. www.coffeecobwebsandcurriculum.blogspot.com Follow me on Facebook or Twitter! Links can be found in the right sidebar on this blog!

Comments