Amazing Grace, Revisited


I attended the funeral of the father of a good friend of ours recently. I was very moved by the entire service; the sweet spirit of the preacher and the awesome pomp and circumstance of the military at his graveside. I swelled with pride at the soldiers and their absolute professionalism.  The playing of "Taps" on the bugle and the presentation of the precisely folded U.S. flag to his widow was overwhelming and emotional but so beautiful. 

During the service, the preacher read the verses of the song, "Amazing Grace," including two unknown verses that struck my heart:

Yes, when this flesh and heart shall fail,
And mortal life shall cease;
I shall possess within the veil,
A life of joy and peace!

The earth shall soon dissolve like snow,
The sun forbear to shine;
But God who called me here below
Shall be forever mine!


My favorite part of the bonus verses: "...I shall possess within the veil..."  
 
Dictionary.com defines a veil as "something that covers, separates, screens, or conceals." When Jesus died on the cross for our sins, He eliminated the need for a veil between us and God. Through Jesus, we have direct access to the throne of the Most High who shall be "forever mine.”  
 
What a wonderful thought!! A forever mine Lord and possession of a life of joy and peace within the veil

I hope that brings you as much comfort as it does me.  




Comments

  1. Well, I'm crying! I imagine you were moved; I went to a Memorial Day Service with Tracy and Iris, as Archie was a Veteran...it was sooo beautiful, and I lost it completely when TAPS was played! I love those verses, not usually sung in this, my favorite (as it is for so many others)song of Praise.
    I've never thought about the "within the veil" portion; thank you for this! And yes, comfort is had from this, your post. AWESOME!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I am greatly encouraged by your comments! Please engage!