2014 Goals and Why We Should All Set Them

Do you have New Year's resolutions? Do you set goals?




I usually shy away from resolutions that set me up for failure (drink less coffee, exercise more often), but I do love setting goals. Setting goals is important for me, and really I believe for all of us, because of how we are wired.

We need a point on which to focus.  As busy as we all are, if we don't focus on at least one goal per day or per week, we can easily run off in about fifty different tangents and side roads and never get anything significant accomplished or never get where we're going.

Not sure how to start?  A lot of moms I know use their phone or tablet for tracking tasks and goals, but I use an old-fashioned planner because I just really like it so much better. I write down daily, weekly, and monthly goals. I keep moving them forward if I don't complete them, but I do keep them on my list until they are satisfied or I change my mind about their importance.  

If daily goal setting seems like overkill to you, then choose weekly or even monthly.  Just do it, and if you are able to cross off the goal as having been completed, then set another one. Work until you accomplish it and you will feel so good about yourself. 




I also set annual goals each year, just a way to focus on the overall end goal that I am trying to reach.  For 2014, my goal is this: To simplify my life in a way that will allow me to know God more fully.  

That sounds really good on paper, but it is going to take a whole lot of work, a ton of discipline, and me learning to saying "no" more often in order to simplify my crazy life. 

I trust God in this new season and new year, and I'm so thankful that God doesn't stop blessing us because our situations change each day, each month, each year.   





I'd love to hear your plans and goals for the new year! If you need some inspiration on how to focus more in 2014, and how to set realistic goals, I encourage you to check out these wonderful bloggers below who are keeping it real as we start the new year: 




























Don't miss any of my posts! Subscribe in a reader or check out my Facebook page. Subscribe to this blog and have each post delivered straight to your inbox! ©2013-2014 Coffee, Cobwebs, and Curriculum. All rights reserved. All text, photographs, artwork, and other content may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the written consent of the author. www.coffeecobwebsandcurriculum.blogspot.com

Comments

  1. I love your annual goal---there's so much busyness in our lives that can hide from us what really matters. And I agree---it's human nature to need goals to strive for. Without having an idea of where we are heading, it's hard to know what the next step is. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a wonderful goal. I like how you have the one goal that affects so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm great at setting goals, just not so great at following through. Hmm . . . maybe that should be my goal this year---to be better at following through and finishing things. I love your goal for the year also. As a family, we try to pick a word/goal for the year. Last year was respect. We're still working on that one, so we'll be revisiting it quite often. We haven't decided on a new word yet. I was thinking maybe love or service---two biggies we need to work on. Great post! It has given me lots to think about. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I am greatly encouraged by your comments! Please engage!