Five Minute Friday: Change

[Joining a wonderful group of bloggers who take a key word each Friday and write about for five minutes! Today's word: CHANGE.]





"Be the change you want to see in the world."

When I was younger, I thought I could change others just by talking to them, by reasoning with them, by convincing them my way was better than their way.  

Well, guess what? Lo and behold, I have ZERO power to change people. While people may listen to me and may even have good intentions to change, until the Holy Spirit gets inside their hearts and slaps them upside their heads, there will not be any long-term or life-altering changing. 

Releasing this huge realization to God was extremely freeing for me.  I no longer tried to change my husband, my friends, my children.  I stopped agonizing over the lack of change in them. The level of acid in my stomach was cut in half.  I still offer my love and advice in small ways, but I leave the serious, soul-stirring changing to the One who can make the jaw-dropping, shaking-my-head results take place. 

Is there someone in your life you really wish would change? Are they acting ridiculously stupid? Are they consistently hurting your heart? Do you see a marriage in trouble because of a lack of change in one or both spouses? Do your children continue to rebel despite your efforts to make them obedient?   I challenge you to stop TALKING.  Seriously, stop talking to them about it, and commit instead to PRAYING about it for 30 days.  Every single day, quietly and without fanfare, lift that person before the Lord, and plead for the Holy Spirit to change their hearts, and for their actions to be in alignment with God's will.  

Are you guaranteed to see results in those 30 days? No, unfortunately that timeline is not in our hands. So pray another 30 days. And another. Again and again and again, if necessary.  

Seeking His face in this way, the change you seek may just be in your own heart. 



"He will change you into a holy people dedicated to Himself; this He has promised to do if you will only obey Him and walk in His ways." Deut. 28:9 


http://katemotaung.com/2014/08/21/five-minute-friday-change/






©2014-2016 Coffee, Cobwebs, and Curriculum. All rights reserved. All text, photographs, artwork, and other content may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the written consent of the author. www.coffeecobwebsandcurriculum.blogspot.com Follow me on Facebook or Twitter! Links can be found in the right sidebar on this blog!

Comments

  1. Perfectly said - (especially the upside the head part...). I still try to change the things and people around me, sometimes; it's a habit that's hard to break control freak that I am... But I agree, the working of the Holy Spirit will be far more successful than me...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Janet! Sometimes I'm the one who gets slapped. I hate those days. LOL!

      Delete
    2. Lovely wording. Poetic. And, true. Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
    3. Thank you, my friend! :)

      Delete
  2. You are on the same page as I am, April. In fact, my FMF post is about praying for change in myself and my family. We can't change anyone, but He can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it when God confirms His messages for His children! Have a great weekend!

      Delete

Post a Comment

I am greatly encouraged by your comments! Please engage!