Tuesday, October 1, 2013

(Review) Science in the Beginning


Do you have a kinesthetic and visual learner like I do?  Well I have found a beautiful new science curriculum to tell you about! Science in the Beginning by Dr. Jay Wile is my new favorite curriculum.  If you're an Apologia lover--which I am--but find it to be a bit text-heavy, I encourage you to try this new curriculum from Dr. Wile and Berean Builders Publishing.  


I have tried many science curricula since I started homeschooling five years ago. I think it is the beautiful way Dr. Wile weaves just enough text with the daily, hands-on experiments.  Or maybe it is the way that the chronological lessons follow the six days of creation and explore (in great depth) each concept relating to each day of creation. Or maybe it's the beautiful photos throughout the hardcover textbook that draw me and my daughter in each day. 

Dr. Jay Wile is best know for his Exploring Creation series from Apologia. He is a scientist and he is a Christian, but as he states on his blog, he is not a Christian Scientist. He knows his stuff, and he has created Science in the Beginning which, in my opinion, brings the best parts of the Apologia textbooks--fascinating facts and great experiments--into one place. 

Dr. Jay Wile

Here's a great explanation of the series from Berean Builders website: 

 The beginning of history is given in the Bible's creation account, and this book uses the days of creation as a way of introducing a wide range of scientific concepts including the nature of light, energy conservation, the properties of air and water, introductory botany, our solar system, basic zoology, and some aspects of human anatomy and physiology. As the students learn about these scientific concepts, they are constantly reminded of the Creator who fashioned the marvels they are studying.

We do science 3 - 4 days per week, and there are 15 lessons per day of creation. We have been learning with Science in the Beginning for about 4 weeks now and we are nearing the end of our first "day," and are looking forward to moving to the next set of 15 lessons for Day 2.


Take a glance at the table of contents from Science in the Beginning: 




~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lessons 1 - 15 focus on the first day of creation (let there be light), so we are now studying the fascinating world of light.  Abbey has learned so many wonderful things about the properties of light, and each corresponding experiment really drives home the lessons taught in the text. A supply list for each lesson is included at the beginning of the book. We have yet to find an experiment that required anything more than household items.  


Another wonderful aspect of this curriculum--Dr. Wile has incorporated various activities for each lesson for younger elementary students, middle school students, and even high school students.  You can choose which level works for you child and work with them on their activity.  

Abbey has loved her science journal, one of the suggested activities for middle and older students.  We purchased a special binder for her science journal work and she has done such a great job.  These written activities are an important part of her learning and absorbing the concepts, and have really driven home each lesson.  




Purchasing the set from Berean Builders includes a Helps & Hints book that serves as a teacher's guide, and I highly recommend you include this in your purchase.  It includes answers to discussion questions in each lesson, and helpful tips for each experiment.  


Ready to purchase? The set is only $39, and can be used with multiple ages.  Click here to grab your copy now! You'll be so glad you did! 



Disclaimer: I received a copy of Science in the Beginning and Helps & Hints in exchange for writing an honest and thorough review.  I was not required to give a positive review, and the opinions found above are mine alone. No other compensation was received.

Don't miss any of my posts! Subscribe in a reader or check out my Facebook page. Subscribe to this blog and have each post delivered straight to your inbox! ©2013-2014 Coffee, Cobwebs, and Curriculum. All rights reserved. All text, photographs, artwork, and other content may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the written consent of the author. www.coffeecobwebsandcurriculum.blogspot.com

2 comments:

  1. Hi April! This is awesome, I just love Science! (I'm a nurse!) And these 'hands-on' experiments are just the thing to get kids excited about learning. I always loved labs, and I had my own Chemistry Set as a pre-teen. Loved that stuff!

    Sounds like the author really knows his stuff too. Great pick!
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am absolutely loving everything about this book. The experiment each day helps get my kids really focused in on the lessons. They want to know why? How? And I really love how they've made a whole year out of 6 days of creation. Instead of focusing solely on one department in science for instance zoology, I love how it really gives an overview of so many science subjects, like botany zoology anatomy astronomy and so on.I love its details into each day of creation. And also I love the notebook idea. I love science and this book being creation based is exactly what I needed to teach my 5 children. I cannot express just how much we love Science in the Beginning.

    ReplyDelete

I am greatly encouraged by your comments! Please engage!

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

All posts are my intellectual property and are copyrighted.