Recipe: Sour Cream Chicken

This is, by far, one of my family's favorite comfort foods. One of my dear friends shared this recipe with me when she and I were both still teenagers (you know, just yesterday.)  

You can use boneless chicken tenders instead of the breasts, and I have learned the higher quality the meat is, the better this dish will taste. 


Sour Cream Chicken


  • 4 large, thawed boneless chicken breasts
  • 1 cup of sour cream, any brand (low fat may be substituted)
  • 1 sleeve original Ritz crackers (do not substitute)
  • 1/2 cup grated parmesean cheese 
  • 1/2 tsp onion powder
  • 1/2 tsp seasoned salt (like Lawry's)
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
  • 3/4 cup whole milk (lower fat is fine)
  • 1/4 cup butter at room temperature (do not substitute)


Preheat oven to 375 degrees, and spray your glass baking dish with cooking spray. 

Mix crackers, cheese and spices in a shallow dish/pan and stir to mix. 

Put sour cream in a separate, small bowl.  

Rinse chicken and pat dry. 

Press chicken into sour cream, being sure to cover each piece completely. 

Immediately put chicken in the cracker mixture and cover completely. The sour cream will act like glue and allow the mixture to stick. 

Place the battered chicken in your baking dish. Repeat for each piece until dish is full. 

In the microwave or on top of stove, melt butter into milk just until combined.  Pour milk/butter mixture over the entire pan of chicken.  Do not cover. 

Cook for 30 minutes (may require less time if you are using chicken tenders and not full chicken breasts.) 

Enjoy! 

Don't miss any of my posts! Subscribe in a reader . Subscribe to this blog and have each post delivered straight to your inbox! ©2013-2014 Coffee, Cobwebs, and Curriculum. All rights reserved. All text, photographs, artwork, and other content may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the written consent of the author. www.coffeecobwebsandcurriculum.blogspot.com

Comments

  1. Oh my - that sounds heavenly!!! I love anything with sour cream or cream cheese. Can't wait to try it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great recipe. Chicken is one of the few things that everyone in the family likes, so I always like to find new recipes to try to change it up a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi April! How can a combo like sour cream and chicken lose? Wonderful, thank you for posting this!

    Love the font you are using too, I don't have to squint! LOL! My goodness, I must be getting older than I even imagined :)

    Have a wonderful weekend, April,
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds yummy! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Och...I'm going to have to try a gf version. I LOVE sour cream!

    ~Honey

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I am greatly encouraged by your comments! Please engage!